Can’t quite get away from all the chaos this summer? We totally get it. That’s why we decided to put together a list of ideas for you to escape to that are nearby.
We did the research for all things outdoors, family-friendly, romantic, unique, or just simply far away from the office. Here’s what we found:
While most of the area is known for cornfields, flat-plains, and prairies, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma still have so much to offer when it comes to trails, lakes, and other beautiful outdoor adventures.
1. Grand Falls. To get started, we have the beautiful Grand Falls located in Joplin, Missouri. Grand Falls is the tallest natural waterfall in the state. It drops about 12 feet and covers over 150 feet of rock across. Many locals call it the “Niagara Falls of JOMO”.
2. Cedar Lake Falls. Next we have Cedar Lake Falls, located in Olathe, Kansas. The waterfall is just off of Cedar Lake and is a great place to hike to while also exploring the area.
3. Ha Ha Tonka State Park. A popular place to hike and picnic, Ha Ha Tonka State Park is located on the Lake of the Ozarks in Camdenton, Missouri. The park features the stone ruins of a turn-of-the-20th-century castle built by a prominent Kansas City businessman high atop a bluff. More than 15 miles of trails traverse the park, leading visitors to sinkholes, natural bridges, caves and down to the lake.
4. Roaring River State Park. Located in Cassville, Missouri, Roaring River State Park is a great place to fish and enjoy the scenery. The area is also home to seven different trails that run through the park, as well as various lodging options to turn your visit into a weekend getaway.
5. Lake of the Ozarks. As mentioned earlier, Lake of the Ozarks has more to offer than the State Park. Conveniently located in the heart of Missouri, The Lake of the Ozarks is the Midwest's premier lake resort destination, offering world-class boating, golfing, shopping and fishing, and a wide variety of lodging, restaurants, state parks, and other recreational activities to suit any budget and taste.
6. Prairie State Park. Located in Mindenmines, Missouri, Prairie State Park is a public recreation area encompassing nearly 4,000 acres of grasslands and woodlands. Come visit and find beautiful grass and wildflowers, and spot an elk or bison herd. The park also has a visitor center with exhibits and interpretive programs designed to inform visitors about the special area.
7. Table Rock Lake. Located in Stone County, Missouri, Table Rock Lake has over 800 miles of shoreline. It is a great place to come and enjoy the water, boating, camping, and even the attractions of Branson, Missouri.
8. The Gloss Mountains. These prehistoric towers stand at about 1,600 feet tall and are one of western Oklahoma’s famous natural wonders. While visiting you can hike the trail to the rim of Cathedral Mountain and see the best views of the Cimarron River.
9. Greenleaf State Park. Home to one of the most instagrammable spots in Oklahoma, the swinging bridge of Greenleaf State Park is just one of the things that make this park so unique. The bridge suspends over the Greenleaf Lake, and is a very fun place to hike to.
10. Natural Falls State Park. Located in Colcord, Oklahoma, Natural Falls State Park features a stunning 77-foot waterfall cascading through rock formations and creating a hidden, serene atmosphere at the bottom of a narrow V-shaped valley.
Now, we understand not all of you feel like being trapped in a car with the family for even a few hours to the nearest outdoor adventure. That’s why we put together a list of family-friendly fun day escapes that might just be down the road from you.
1. The Zoo. Find amazing zoos in St. Louis, Springfield, and Kansas City, Missouri, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Manhattan, Kansas, and more!
2. Mini-Golf. Play indoors, outdoors, in the dark, or all around the world, mini-golf is great for all members of the family.
4. Amusement Park. With Silver Dollar City, Six Flags, and Worlds of Fun, Missouri is a great place to hope on a roller coaster.
5. Zip-lining. Because who doesn’t love putting all their trust into a pulley suspended on a cable mounted to a slope (maybe checkout our life insurance policies before spending the day jumping out of the trees(; )
6. Camping. There is nothing like family bonding while sleeping in a tent, disconnected from wifi, and cooking over a fire. Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma all have amazing places to camp out.
7. Pool day. Just don’t forget the sunscreen.
8. Hiking. See our list above for the best locations.
9. Summer classes. While your kids may not love school, they’re likely to love the variety of classes offered during the summer. We recommend checking out all of the different camps near you for fun days full of horseback riding, arts and crafts, music lessons, fishing, and much more!
10. Sporting event. I highly recommend spending the day at the ballpark, even if it’s just a local team stadium snacks are unmatched.
11. A concert. With so many live events being cancelled last year, we are excited to support local artists and venues again.
So you’re ready to ditch the kids and spend some time away just you and your love, but grandparents only agreed to keep them for the weekend? Here are a few different romantic destinations right here in or near your state.
1. Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, MO
2. Moonrise Hotel in St. Louis, MO
3. Cyrus Hotel in Topeka, KS
4. The Eldridge in Lawrence, KS
5. Garden House Bed & Breakfast in Rocky Mount, MO
6. The Elms Hotel and Spa in Excelsior Springs, MO
Finally, we have the catch-alls of our list. These are the odd, quirky, and unique places we found in our states.
1. Giant Van Gogh Painting in Goodland, Kansas
2. Big Brutus in West Mineral, Kansas
3. Monument Rocks in Oakley, Kansas. These are One of the Eight Wonders of Kansas!
4. Kansas City Library's Giant Bookshelf in Kansas City, Missouri
5. Fantastic Caverns in Springfield, Missouri
6. Wonders of Wildlife Museum also in Springfield, Missouri
7. Walt Disney Hometown Museum in Marceline, Missouri. This is a celebration of the animation wizard's childhood home and antique railroad memorabilia collection.
8. Factory Obscura Mix-Tape in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
9. Blue Whale of Catoosa in Catoosa, Oklahoma
10. Bowling Ball Yard Art in Nowata, Oklahoma
Check out more of these interesting destinations at https://www.atlasobscura.com
You may be wondering why we’re sharing these places and getaway ideas with you.
After all, we are an insurance agency, shouldn’t we be telling you all the reasons not to vacate your home for vacation?
While it’s important to take extra precautions when leaving your home even if it’s just for the weekend, we think it is equally important to get out of the house and start enjoying life in new places.
Here at the Forsythe Agency we believe in coverage for your best life, and we want to help you create it.
Contact us today for ways you can save on your home, auto, life, or business policy and start using those funds for more exciting things and experiences, while still protecting what you already know and love.